Life Hack #Achieving Dreams in 2019
Do you like to do novel, useful things? Does your job or life require you to innovate and problem solve ingeniously? You might be surprised to learn that this is the scientific definition of creativity, and we all need it if we want to live a productive, fulfilling life and achieve our goals. Creativity is really important. Creative thought has enabled mankind to survive and thrive; adapt to change; produce art and music; manage social lives, build civilizations and write blog posts like this! And the belief that only “right brained” arty, paintbrush-wielding, types are creative is a myth. Creativity actually involves the whole brain and we are all capable of it. When scientists looked at what successful people have in common they found they were all highly creative. What novel, useful plans do you have for 2019? I’d like to share the science of how you can accomplish your plans with some simple actions and mindset shifts that increase creativity, grow a healthier brain, and make life fun.
Neuroscientist, Dr Sarah McKay, reveals 7 tips to maximize creativity and achieve your goals:
1. Become an expert at what you do. No surprise there but worth noting.
2. Go green. Tuning into nature is a powerful antidote to digital life. It enhances higher-order thinking, improves our ability to focus and allows time and space for the mind to wander. I will be writing more about the “Nature Fix” and my own experiments with it in future blog posts.
3. Exercise. It gets the blood pumping and lifts mood. Both improve creative problem solving.
4. Mind wandering. Dare to daydream and nap. It gives us the opportunity to make associations between previously unrelated concepts. Intentionally dreaming about a particular problem increases the chance we will come up with a solution.
5. Diversion. Think about something else. Focusing on another problem or task is a well-known method for overcoming creative block. Schedule regular times to do something completely different.
6. Set limits. It forces us to come up with creative solutions.
7. Embrace extreme moods. Positive moods enhance creative problem solving but so does anger.
I like this last one. I think negative emotions get a bad rap. They exist after all to keep us safe. I have found when I learn the lesson they are trying to teach me they tend to lose their sting.
Hey folks, do you want to achieve great things in 2019? Why not try my yoga and meditation classes on the beautiful Redcliffe Peninsula waterfront. We practice at least 5 of these creativity tips with every class.
What novel, useful things have you got planned for this year? Which of these tips resonates with you and why? Do you use any of them? Have they been effective? Please feel free to share in the comments below. I read every one.
In my next blog I will be talking about one of the biggest blocks to creativity and how to deal with it.